Saturday, March 05, 2016

Driver, uncredited, Gary Marshall's "Princess Diaries"

I was the minibus driver who drove to a Pac.Hts. mansion the first week and picked up Gary and Penny Marshall and staff.
Then we went driving around Pacific Heights, looking at huge mansions, in a standard 24-seat minibus.

Now a minibus has a longer wheelbase than your average car. And Pac.Hts. is hilly, with flat intersections , that were not made for medium or large buses. So when we crossed an intersection crosswalk on the downhill side, the underside of the low bus would scrape.

Gary Marshall would tell his "1st A.D." , who would tell me right behind me "Mr.Marshall doesn't like that scraping sound. Don't do it again." Yes, sir.

So I tried going diagonally, but some flat intersections were just too abrupt. I could hear Gary Marshall tell his "1st A.D.", and then the "1st A.D." out loud would tell me again,"Mr.Marshall doesn't like that sound." Yes, sir.

The next morning, and the next, there I was at this Pac.Hts. mansion, picking up Mr.Gary Marshall and staff, in a low minibus.  Not a jacked up black SUV. I got lunch a few times down at the nice tent and tables commissary at Aquatic Park. The limo company probably stole the driver tip, as usual. After a week, I had been released. 

So if you ever wonder "what would it be like to work on a famous movie shoot?", there you go. Name's mud.