Saturday, November 22, 2008

30 years in the back of my closet,,,and my leather hightop Nikes soles fell off !!

OK, so i have a lots of shoes. I clean out the closet at least once every year ,,,or so! So in my last Spring Cleaning,,,maybe it was late summer,,,I find my long lost Nikes !! That i have only worn about 5days,,,ok 7 days MAX as these were my not-every-day-dress-up-casual Nikes,,,

I was so EXCITED ! I thot one of my many many x's had stolen them, like the British blonde who knicked my 70s bleach-weathered Levi's,,,thank God she did not get my 60s 501s. So there i had these hot leather hightops with PURPLE LINING,,,purple tongue end,,,and even a purple edge to the sole,,,with purple inserts in the white hard white rubber sole,,,size 12s,,,even a purple insole !
Talk about great whiteboy stylin' !!

"Made in Korea" nowadays is not that bad , i thot,,,Model #891 202 D1,,,by inspector '15'. I was sooo excited. Then,,,i noticed the soles were COMING UNGLUED FROM JUST SITTING IN THE BACK OF MY BIG CLOSET !! Man, was i bummed. I phoned the local Nike store, Niketown on Union Square in S.F., and the assistant manager said that Nike only stands behind their shoes for "a year, or two max. ". Bummer.

I have had-owned-bought a LOT of Nike's in my long and exciting life. But i NEVER expected a pair of expensive trainers from Nike to just fall apart ,,,sitting in the back of my closet. The really sick part was looking inside the Nike's sole and seeing this brown mystery foam !! disgusting,,,hidden,,, INSIDE the hard white quality rubber sole box !! It was such a design hide.

My oldguy friend called then to say he needed someone to go up and clean his gutters out. Here i had found Nikes that i thot some wench had stolen,,, so i duct taped the soles to the still good leather uppers and walked over to the ladder and spent two days hand scooping glop of decayed leaves out of my neighbors rain gutters (with the too small downspout pipe hidden inside the rectangular downspout=huge design flaw also). My hands got all cut up from the edge of the gutters,,,and i used lots and lots of his water enjoying the 2nd and 3rd floor views of the Bay,,,and i got to wear what i had long thot were a quality-based brand of shoes.

Now i am wearing Asics.