Saturday, November 22, 2008

American Express, the credit card company, continues to deal with tiny fraudulent companies that STEAL YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBERS and use them !!

Acouple months ago i was looking at the monthly AX credit card bill ,as i often have to use it for work and get reimbursed. I notice a strange company name- parent/subsidiary?- and a strange charge for like $69.99. So i called American Express and asked about the company, what did they sell, were they the name i might have dealt with or a subsidiary, and what did i buy. AX said they did not know but if i wanted to go to the trouble of opening a formal investigation, they would. So i did , not thinking much of it for so small an amount.

About a week later i got a form letter saying the charge was FRAUDULENT and American Express had already taken it off my account/bill that i had paid in full anyway !! I phoned and AGAIN asked what does this company sell and how did they get my c/c number ! AX did not know,,,Well, are you going to check my past bills for such a FRAUDULENT CHARGE from the same company? Yes, oh here is another one from the previous month,,,and we can investigate that one too,,,

That one turned out to be FRAUDULENT as well !! And still , American Express did not offer me a new credit card number that might or might not be safer . Shocking. Did they turn this company in to the FBI? Probably not. So i looked in my pile of previous monthly bills and 6 months back i found another one from the same company !! Immediately phoned AX and they said they would look into that charge as well... But why had they not gone back in my records the first or second time, but waited for me to find this 3 questionable charge ?

Later, another form letter that yes the third charge was FRAUDULENT and was deducted from my account. No big deal. No 'we are sorry this happened' . No 'we will stop doing business as usual with this totally illegal, unethical and thieving company'.

I had the new credit card sent snail mail , but the next time i will have it shipped next day air as it seems American Express is perfectly comfortable continuing to take fees,,, business as usual,,, from a company(s) that has tried to steal and use my credit card fraudulently 3 TIMES THIS YEAR !!

So how do you like "deregulation" now ? I will contact the FBI, if they care. And maybe a Senator, if they care. Doubtful. The company is "classic closeouts".